The West expects to see the start of a counteroffensive by the Ukrainian military in the coming weeks. This was stated by US Permanent Representative to NATO Julian Smith,
"We expect that in the coming weeks, the Ukrainians will move into battle or launch a spring offensive," the official said.
At the same time, she clarified that it is the Ukrainian side that determines the time and tactics of the counter-offensive.
According to Smith, the Russian military is also trying to launch its offensive.
"But it does not appear that Russia has any specific plan in mind right now that would lead to significant victories on the battlefield," the US Ambassador to NATO said.-
Meanwhile, on Monday, April 3, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy held an offsite meeting of the Supreme Commander-in-Chief's Staff in Chernihiv. The Head of State noted that today's meeting of the Staff was held with full preparation for active actions to liberate Ukrainian territories.
Last week, Defense Minister Oleksiy Reznikov "accidentally" said that the Ukrainian General Staff is planning a counteroffensive in several areas in April and May, as called for by NATO partners.
In an interview with the Estonian channel Err.ee, when asked about the counteroffensive, the minister said that "everything depends on the weather conditions when the most appropriate moment will be."
"I am confident that we will continue to liberate the temporarily occupied territories, as we did in Kyiv, Chernihiv, Sumy, Kharkiv, and Kherson. All of this will continue," Reznikov said, adding that the Ukrainian General Staff is planning a counteroffensive in several directions.-
Regarding Bakhmut, he noted that Ukrainian defenders have significantly "reduced the Russian offensive potential" in this area, which will help the defenders "keep the front line stable and give them time to prepare for a counteroffensive."
Author - Serhii Kolomiets, 04/04/2023